The Maserati A6G was a highly successful customer two-seat racing car designed by ex-Alfa Romeo and Ferrari engineer Gioachino Colombo. Heavily based on the Trident’s F2 car, it used the same six-cylinder motor:
-three carburettors, dry sump, alloy block, twin plugs, twin cams
-this time running on regular petrol rather than methanol.
Some 50 were produced and in the two-litre class it was almost unbeatable thanks to fine handling and a crackling, high-compression ’six to which arch-rival Ferrari had no effective answer.
In 1954, Maserati developed the concept of the A6GCS for high-performance road car use and supplied chassis complete with updated – now wet-sump, but still twin-cam and mostly
twin-plug – 1,986cc engines, along with sophisticated coachbuilding by Frua, Allemano and Zagato. The first two produced elegant, fast and luxurious GTs, while Zagato concentrated on racing berlinettas for the well-heeled sportsmen of the day. The new A6G/54 was the last short-run Maserati before the introduction of the Trident’s first production car, the 3500 GT in 1957. In total, 60 were built from late 1954 to early 1957, including one spyder and 20 competition berlinettas by Zagato.
With chassis from Gilco, the cars were race-bred and advanced for their time: independent front suspension by double wishbones and coil springs; a live rear axle suspended on quarter-elliptical leaf springs. Houdaille hydraulic dampers were fitted all round. Braking was by radially vented large drums front and rear.
After single ignition was used on the early cars, most racing A6G/54 2000s had 12-plug heads. Triple 40DC03 Weber carburettors fed the potent engine that at its outer limits produced some 190bhp.
The typically Zagato, hand-beaten coachwork was different on each car, although it followed the same principle: an aggressive grille with big Maserati trident, open headlamps, abrupt tail and low roofline. Few – if any – cars bore a double-bubble roof from new. Bumpers varied from full width, to small, quarter bumperettes and, while most carried a ‘spine’ that ran down the bonnet to the top of the grille, some did not. Likewise, bonnet air-intakes ranged from one to two to none, and instrument panels could be made to plush production car standards or only fit for a stripped-out racer.
Every A6G/54 2000 Zagato was a testament to the coachbuilder’s art, an aggressive machine meant to be raced hard and fast andmost, like this car, certainly were.
This Motor Car
Working with available records, research by marque historian Dr Adolfo Orsi and indisputable evidence from the Automobile Club d’Italia (the Italian registration authority, ‘ACI’), we understand the early history of chassis 2155 to be as follows.
On 15 April 1956 Maserati sent a bare chassis by Gilco to Carrozzeria Zagato of Milan. Zagato returned the finished car on 15 May 1956, painted red with blue upholstery. The Maserati build sheet dated 19 May 1956 confirms the following:
- Marelli ST 111 DTEM distributor for 12-plug, twin-ignition cylinder head
- Triple Weber DCO3 carburettors
- Borrani wire wheels with Pirelli 6.00 x 16in tyres
- Fiandri exhaust
- Jaeger gauges
On 30 May 1956 a certificate of origin was issued and the first owner, Roberto Federici of Rome, registered the car in his home city ‘ROMA 258154’. An invoice was raised for Lire 3,303,210, dated 15 June 1956.
Verified by ACI records, the next owner was Gianfranco Peduzzi of Olgiate Comasco, Como, who bought the car on 10 July 1956. The following day it was registered locally as ‘CO 53256’. Anna Maria Peduzzi, also of Como, was an early driver for Scuderia Ferrari in the 1930s, Peduzzi himself a connoisseur of fine cars who owned an Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 in the 1930s.
A letter on file dated 29 April 1957 (possibly from a mechanic) to Peduzzi stated that his car would be “ready this week”. On 10 June 1957, ‘2155’ was entered in the Trieste-Opicina hillclimb as race number 138, driven by future owner Natale Gotelli.
At some point later that year the car must have been returned to the factory, as a letter dated 11 November 1957 notified Maserati that the car had been crashed by a “Mr Zagato”. Later correspondence from Zagato to Maserati confirmed that Gianni Zagato had crashed the “ex-Peduzzi” car after only 100km of running-in, and that they had to redo the body. The Milanese coachbuilder made amends, reworking ‘2155’ in forward thinking and excitingly fresh coachwork bearing the company’s famous ‘double-bubble’ roofline.
The period rebody by Zagato makes this car unique, and it should be noted that it is one of no more than two or three genuine Maserati A6G/54 2000 Berlinetta ‘double-bubbles’.
ModelA6G 54 Berlinetta