The ultimate italian coachbuilder site

Nicola Musumeci


Baron Nicola Francesco Saverio Musmeci della Torre (January 13, 1912 – November 21, 1993) was an Italian racing driver. He was born in Acireale to an aristocratic Sicilian family, the son of Don Saverio Musmeci della Torre and Donna Lucrezia Beneventano. He spent his childhood studying in Rome. His interest in racing began at a young age with a Fiat 1100 Sport. His career took off in 1948 when he raced a Maserati A6GCS in the Targa Florio. In 1949, he competed in several of Italy’s major races, including the Targa Florio (finishing 4th overall in a Maserati), the Grand Prix of Pergusa in a Maserati, the Mille Miglia in a Lancia Aprilia (finishing 44th overall), and the Monte Pellegrino Hill Climb, which he won. In the late 1940s and early 1950s, Musmeci was a significant financial supporter of the Maserati racing team under Adolfo Orsi’s leadership. In 1949, he organized and won the first and only “Pozzillo-Acireale” race after much perseverance. The Baron continued racing until 1957, making significant contributions to Sicilian motorsport history. His notable achievements include a class victory in the 1955 Giro di Sicilia driving an Alfa Romeo 1900 TI (Chassis Number “7822”). He also participated in the 1955 Coppa d’Oro delle Dolomiti and raced under the banner of Scuderia Centro Sud. In the 1930s, Nicola meticulously restored Palazzo Musmeci in central Acireale, a historical building that hosted King Umberto I of Savoy, his wife Margherita, and their son Vittorio Emanuele (the future King Vittorio Emanuele III) in 1881. In 1946, he co-founded the first Alfa Romeo dealership in Catania, “S.V.A.R.” (Società Vendita Alfa Romeo), with Alessandro “Sandro” Perrone, his co-driver and navigator in various races, and Rosario Distefano. In 1952, Musmeci, Perrone, and Distefano opened a branch of “S.V.A.R.” in Rome, but the challenging market led to its closure after a few years. The Catania branch remained active until the 1970s, relocating several times from its original location on Via Sant’Euplio to Corso Italia.
Musmeci passed away in November 1993, leaving behind a lasting legacy and descendants.

PARTICIPANTS Total Participants (1)