The company history began in 1849 when Carlo Castagna bought the Ferrari coachbuilding business. Carrozzeria Castagna built the first coach automobile with a combustion engine (Benz quadricycle). Later the company worked with larger car manufacturers, including: Isotta Fraschini, Duesenberg, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, and Mercedes-Benz. The original company ceased in 1954. The company name was revived twice in the 1990s. In 1994, the Carrozzeria Castagna name was bought by a businessman Uberto Petra and Gioacchino Acampora, the latter an Italian automotive designer who created all of the recent projects of Castagna Milano, starting from the re-body of an Alfa Romeo SZ as an Alfa Romeo Vittoria Castagna. The latest works of the company include a series of customised runabout and wood-panelled cars based on Fiat 500 and Mini.