www.carrozzieri-italiani.com

The ultimate italian coachbuilder site

Alfa Romeo Alfasud

The Alfa Romeo Alfa Sud designed by Giugiaro.

Vehicle Overview

The Alfa Romeo Alfasud was conceived as a smaller, front-wheel-drive car, a concept Alfa Romeo had explored in the 1950s. However, it wasn’t until 1967 that concrete plans were made for this new model, designed to fit below Alfa Romeo’s existing range. The Alfasud project was developed by Austrian engineer Rudolf Hruska, who crafted a unique engineering package. This innovative design was then brought to life by the renowned Giorgetto Giugiaro of Italdesign. The name “Alfasud” reflects its origin, as the car was manufactured at a new factory located in Pomigliano d’Arco, in southern Italy. This region’s significance is emphasized in the name, which translates to “Alfa South.” On January 18, 1968, a new company was registered in Naples, named “Industria Napoletana Costruzioni Autoveicoli Alfa Romeo-Alfasud S.p.A.” Alfa Romeo held 90% of the share capital, with the remaining 10% owned by Finmeccanica, the financial arm of the government-controlled IRI. Construction of the new state-sponsored plant began in April 1968 at Pomigliano d’Arco, on the site of a former aircraft engine factory that Alfa Romeo had used during the Second World War. This plant was a crucial element of the Alfasud project, representing a significant investment in the southern Italian region and aiming to boost the local economy. The Alfasud’s development marked a significant departure from Alfa Romeo’s traditional rear-wheel-drive models, embracing a front-wheel-drive layout that offered distinct engineering and design advantages. Hruska’s engineering expertise and Giugiaro’s design prowess combined to create a car that was both technically innovative and aesthetically appealing. The Alfasud became an important model in Alfa Romeo’s lineup, setting a precedent for future front-wheel-drive models and highlighting the company’s ability to innovate and adapt to new market demands. Its production at the Pomigliano d’Arco plant underscored Alfa Romeo’s commitment to revitalizing southern Italy’s industrial landscape while expanding its range with a groundbreaking new model.

alfa romeo alfasud italdesign

3D MODEL

Technical Specifications

  • Body
  • Year
    1971
  • Make
    Alfa Romeo
  • Model
    Alfasud
  • Coachbuilder
    Italdesign
  • Length (mm)
    N/A
  • Width (mm)
    N/A
  • Height (mm)
    N/A
  • Units built
    N/A
  • Engine Type
    N/A
  • Designer
    Giorgetto Giugiaro
  • Make
    N/A
  • Model
    N/A
  • Cylinder Capacity
    N/A
  • Number Of Doors
    N/A
  • Six Month Rate
    N/A
  • Twelve Month Rate
    N/A
  • Date Of First Registration
    N/A
  • Year Of Manufacture
    N/A
  • CO2 Emissions
    N/A
  • Fuel Type
    N/A
  • Tax Status
    N/A
  • Transmission
    N/A
  • Colour
    N/A
  • Type Approval
    N/A
  • Wheel Plan
    N/A
  • Revenue Weight
    N/A
  • Tax Details
    N/A
  • Mot Details
    N/A
  • Taxed
    N/A
  • mot
    N/A
  • Make
    N/A
  • Cylinder Capacity
    N/A
  • Registration
    N/A
  • Year Of Manufacture
    N/A
  • CO2 Missions
    N/A
  • Fuel Type
    N/A
  • Tax Status
    N/A
  • Colour
    N/A
  • Type Approval
    N/A
  • Wheel Plan
    N/A
  • Revenue Weight
    N/A

Events

Related Persons

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments